Topics covered: Welfare schemes for vulnerable sections of the population by the Centre and States and the performance of these schemes; mechanisms, laws, institutions and bodies constituted for the protection and betterment of these vulnerable sections.
Pradhan Mantri Matru Vandana Yojana (PMMVY)
What to study?
For Prelims and mains: Key Highlights of the PMMVY, funding and beneficiaries, challenges present and ways to address them.
Context: States/UTs and districts awarded for best performance under PMMVY.
- In the category of best performance since inception of the Scheme to States/UTs having population of more than 1 crore the first position was awarded to the state of Madhya Pradesh, followed by Andhra Pradesh and Haryana in the third position.
- In the same category among States/UTs having population of less than 1 crore, Dadra & Nagar Haveli is in the first position. Himachal stood second and Chandigarh is at the third position.
- In the District level awards for States/UTs with population of more than 1 crore, the first position went to Indore in Madhya Pradesh. In the same category for States/UTs with population under than 1 crore, the first position went to Serchhip in Mizoram.
Pradhan Mantri Matru Vandana Yojana (PMMVY) is a maternity benefit rechristened from erstwhile Indira Gandhi Matritva Sahyog Yojana (IGMSY).
The scheme is a conditional cash transfer scheme for pregnant and lactating women.
It provides a partial wage compensation to women for wage-loss during childbirth and childcare and to provide conditions for safe delivery and good nutrition and feeding practices.
- Promoting appropriate practice, care and institutional service utilization during pregnancy, delivery and lactation.
- Encouraging the women to follow (optimal) nutrition and feeding practices, including early and Exclusive breastfeeding for the first six months.
- Providing cash incentives for improved health and nutrition to pregnant and lactating mothers.
Sources: the Hindu.