Topics Covered: Science and Technology- developments and their applications and effects in everyday life Achievements of Indians in science & technology; indigenization of technology and developing new technology.
Global Go To Think Tank Index
What to study?
For Prelims: All about the index.
For Mains: Key findings and significance, ways and means to improve.
Context: Global Go To Think Tank Index has been released.
About the index:
- The Index is released by University of Pennsylvania each year since 2008.
- It evaluates public-policy research analysis and engagement organisations that generate policy-oriented research, analysis, and advice on domestic and international issues.
- It claims to enable policy makers and the public to make informed decisions on public policy.
Definition of think- tanks:
The report defined ”think tanks” as public-policy research analysis and engagement organisations that generate policy-oriented research, analysis, and advice on domestic and international issues, thereby enabling policymakers and the public to make informed decisions about public policy.
How are they ranked?
Nomination and Ranking Criteria included think tank”s leadership, staff reputation, quality and reputation of the research and analysis produced, ability to recruit and retain elite scholars, analysts, academic performance, reputation, the impact of a think-tank”s research and programs on policymakers and reputation with policymakers.
- The list was topped by Carnegie Endowment for International Peace of US, followed by Belgium”s Bruegel and French Institute of International Relations (IFRI).
- UK”s Chatham House was ranked 6th on the list.
Performance of institutions in India:
- Centre for Science and Environment (CSE) has been placed at No. 16. CSE climbed up two notches in the 14th version of the report.
- The organisation also moved up three places among ‘best independent think tanks’ to be at No.123 in the world and sixth among Indian think tanks.
- Globally, it was ranked 41 of 60 organisations committed to energy and resource policy.
- India’s Observer Research Foundation (ORF) has jumped more than 90 places to 27th position among 176 global think tanks.
- Syama Prasad Mookerjee Research Foundation was the highest-ranked Indian think tank with a political party affiliation in the world, getting a rank of 31st, among 38 such institutions.
- India Foundation and Vivekananda International Foundation were ranked 36th and 37th on that list.
The 2020 report raised some critical threats and opportunities that think tanks across the globe face.
It called upon such organisations to develop national, regional, and global partnerships and create new, innovative platforms to deliver for an ever-expanding audience of citizens, policy makers and businesses.
India has the second-largest number of think tanks at 509. The US has the highest number at 1,871.
Sources: the Hindu.