Topic: Government policies and interventions for development in various sectors and issues arising out of their design and implementation. Food Processing and Related Industries in India- Scope’ and Significance, Location, Upstream and Downstream Requirements, Supply Chain Management.
2. Bring out the key highlights of the draft National logistic policy, analyse the benefits and challenges involved in implementing the same. (250 words)
Reference: Live Mint
Why this question:
The upcoming national logistics policy is expected to streamline rules and address supply-side constraints, leading to lower logistics costs and greater competitiveness for Indian products worldwide. Thus the question.
Key demand of the question:
The answer must discuss the key highlights of the draft National logistic policy and bring out the benefits and the challenges in detail.
Analyze – When asked to analyse, you have to examine methodically the structure or nature of the topic by separating it into component parts and present them as a whole in a summary.
Structure of the answer:
Briefly explain that India’s logistics sector has remained fragmented and unregulated, despite its centrality to economic growth.
- According to a logistics policy draft released by the commerce ministry in February 2019, the government will create a single point of reference for all logistics and trade facilitation matters, reducing logistics costs, which are now estimated at 13-14% of GDP, to 10%.
- Discuss the key features of the draft policy.
- Highlight the concerns/issues involved.
- Suggest the benefits that can be accrued from it.
Conclude by reasserting the significance of such a policy in addressing the gaps in the logistics sector of the country.