Topic: Salient features of Indian Society, Diversity of India.
1. What do you understand by social Mobility? Discuss the Concerns and challenges highlighted for India by the recently released Global Social Mobility Report. (250 words)
Why this question:
The World Economic Forum has come out with its first-ever Global Social Mobility Report, which has ranked India a lowly 76 out of the 82 countries profiled. Thus the context of the question.
Key demand of the question:
The answer must discuss the concept of social Mobility in general and Discuss the Concerns and challenges highlighted for India by the recently released Global Social Mobility Report in detail and suggest what needs to be done to address these challenges.
Discuss – This is an all-encompassing directive – you have to debate on paper by going through the details of the issues concerned by examining each one of them. You have to give reasons for both for and against arguments.
Structure of the answer:
Briefly define what you understand by Social Mobility.
In detail explain the following aspects –
- Social Mobility can be understood as the movement in personal circumstances either “upwards” or “downwards” of an individual in relation to those of their parents.
- Discuss the key features of it. Explain why is it important and why does it matter?
- Explain that Social mobility has become the pressing issue of modern life, and as the index highlights, while major improvements have been made in some areas, notably extreme poverty, in others, the situation is deteriorating.
- Discuss the importance of Global Social Mobility Index, point at the facts brought out by the index with respect to India’s performance.
- Explain what the causes of concern are and what way they can be addressed.
Conclude that India has way to go to achieve better and stable social mobility.