Topic: Appointment to various Constitutional posts, powers, functions and responsibilities of various Constitutional Bodies.
2. Are Indian the metros deprived of empowered Mayors who lead country on Urban Issues? Discuss the challenges faced by the position of a Mayor, Suggest what needs to be done to empower the post. (250 words)
Why this question:
The article highlights the fact that Many Global cities like New York, Paris, London have empowered mayors who lead their country on Urban Issues, but in India the metros have been deprived of empowered Mayors who can raise efficiency, productivity and livability. Thus the question.
Key demand of the question:
Discuss in detail the status of the post of mayor in the country and the real-time challenges facing it. Discuss the need to empower Mayors to ensure growth and sustainable development of our urban areas.
Discuss – This is an all-encompassing directive – you have to debate on paper by going through the details of the issues concerned by examining each one of them. You have to give reasons for both for and against arguments.
Structure of the answer:
Start with constitutional status of the position of a Mayor.
- Discuss briefly the powers and responsibilities of Mayor in India.
- Explain what the Advantages of having empowered mayors are.
- Discuss the challenges in the Indian scenario; key challenge is the status quo itself and the vested interests it has entrenched. State governments do not wish to delegate more authority to city-level institutions etc.
- Suggest what needs to be done to empower the post.
Conclude that India’s cities need a new deal that is focused on development. Only elected, empowered and accountable Mayors can deliver on that.