Topics Covered: Indian culture will cover the salient aspects of Art Forms, Literature and Architecture from ancient to modern times.
Guru Gobind Singh
What to study?
For Prelims and Mains: Guru Gobind Singh- key contributions.
Context: The birth anniversary of Guru Gobind Singh was celebrated on January 2nd this year.
About Guru Gobind Singh:
- He was the 10th Sikh guru.
- He was born at Patna, Bihar, India, on December 22, 1666. His birthday sometimes falls either in December or January or even both months in the Gregorian calendar. The annual celebration of the Guru’s birthday is based on the Nanakshahi calendar.
- He became the Sikh guru at the age of nine, following the demise of father, Guru Tegh Bahadur, the ninth Sikh Guru.
- He is known for his significant contributions to the Sikh religion, including the introduction of the turban to cover hair.
- He also founded the principles of Khalsa or the Five ‘K’s.
- He is also responsible to establish the highest order in the Sikh community.
- Followers of the Sikh faith religiously follow the morals and codes of discipline set up by Guru Gobind Singh.
- He fought against the Mughals later in battle of Muktsar in 1705.
- He was assassinated in 1708.
- He named Guru Granth Sahib, the religious text of the Khalsas and the Sikhs, as the next Guru of the two communities.
Sources: the Hindu.