Topic: Indian Culture will cover the salient aspects of Art forms, Literature and Architecture from ancient to modern times.
1. What is the philosophy of Dvaita? Evaluate the contribution of the school of Dvaita Vedanta in the development of Hindu philosophy.(250 words)
Why this question:
Vishwesha Tirtha Swami, the 88-year-old pontiff of Pejawar Mutt, passed away in Udupi on Sunday. The question in this context is to assess the contributions of Dvaita philosophy to Hinduism.
Key demand of the question:
Discuss in detail the philosophy of Dvaita and its contributions to Hinduism.
Evaluate – When you are asked to evaluate, you have to pass a sound judgment about the truth of the given statement in the question or the topic based on evidences. You have to appraise the worth of the statement in question. There is scope for forming a personal opinion here.
Structure of the answer:
Discuss the structure of eight schools of philosophy of Hinduism in general.
- Explain what you understand by Dvaita and Advaita philosophy.
- Highlight the concept of Dvaita Philosophy.
- The Dvaita Vedanta school believes that God (Vishnu, supreme soul) and the individual souls (jīvātman) exist as independent realities, and these are distinct.
- The Dvaita school contrasts with the other two major sub-schools of Vedanta, the Advaita Vedanta of Adi Shankara which posits nondualism – that ultimate reality (Brahman) and human soul are identical and all reality is interconnected oneness, and Vishishtadvaita of Ramanuja which posits qualified nondualism – that ultimate reality (Brahman) and human soul are different but with the potential to be identical.
- Discuss few proprietors of the school.
Conclude by highlighting the contributions it made to Hinduism.