Topic: Geographical features and their location-changes in critical geographical features (including water-bodies and ice-caps) and in flora and fauna and the effects of such changes.
1) Each locale has a unique landscape that creates or modifies the wind. Discuss the impact of local winds on the weather of a particular region by giving suitable examples.(250 words)
Geography by Majid Hussain
Why this question:
The question is from the static portions of Geography portions of GS paper I .
Key demand of the question:
One must explain in detail the impact of local winds on the weather patterns of a region.
Discuss – This is an all-encompassing directive – you have to debate on paper by going through the details of the issues concerned by examining each one of them. You have to give reasons for both for and against arguments.
Structure of the answer:
Define Local winds/how they are formed.
Mention varied impacts due to different types of local winds (also one example of local wind of India).
Explain that Landscapes directly impacts the flow pattern of the wind in the following ways:
- Resistance provided by the surface
- Structural formations (mountains) guide the flow (diagram)
- Stability and instability of the wind is guided by the altitude variation.
- Local wind is generated due to localized difference in heating and cooling of surface. Difference in pressure gradients eventually gives rise to local winds.
Conclude with their overall impact.