- Indian culture will cover the salient aspects of Art Forms, Literature and Architecture from ancient to modern times.
Vishwa Shanti Stupa
What to study?
For Prelims: About Vishwa Shanti Stupas- significance, key facts on Rajgir.
For Mains: Teachings of Buddha and Mahaveer- significance.
Context: Golden Jubilee of Vishwa Shanti Stupa in Rajgir.
About Vishwa Shanti Stupa (World peace pagoda):
- Constructed atop the Ratnagiri Hill, it is the world’s highest peace pagoda.
- Conceptualised by renowned Buddhist monk Nipponzan Myohoji and built by Japanese monk Fujii Guruji.
- Built completely with marble, the stupa comprises four golden statues of Lord Buddha with each representing his life periods of birth, enlightenment, preaching and death.
- There are 7 Peace Pagoda or Shanti Stupas in India, other Stupas are Global Vipassana Pagoda Mumbai, Deekshabhoomi Stupa Nagpur and Buddha Smriti Park Stupa Patna.
- The first Buddhist Council, immediately after the Mahaparinirvana of Lord Buddha, was convened at this place which presently is called Rajgir.
- It was at the Gridhakuta, the hill of the vultures, where Buddha made Mauryan king Bimbisara convert to Buddhism.
- Rajgir is also known as Panchpahari as it is surrounded by five holy hills.
- The legend has it that the ancient city Rajagriha existed even before Lord Buddha attained enlightenment. It was the ancient capital city of the Magadh rulers until the 5th century BC when Ajatashatru moved the capital to Pataliputra (which is now known as Patna).
- Lord Mahavira too spent 14 years of his life at Rajgir and nearby areas.