Topic: The Freedom Struggle — its various stages and important contributors/contributions from different parts of the country.
2) “What the reforms of 1909 gave to people of country were merely a shadow rather than substance.” Elucidate.(250 words)
Modern history of India – spectrum publications
Why this question:
The question is based on the theme of Morley Minto Reforms.
Key demand of the question:
One as to discuss that the Reforms of 1909, commonly known as the Morley Minto Reforms were introduced to placate the moderates and driving them away from the extremists. It was a part of the three pronged approach of repression-conciliation -suppression. However, it failed to satisfy moderates.
Elucidate – Give a detailed account as to how and why it occurred, or what is the particular context. You must be defining key terms where ever appropriate, and substantiate with relevant associated facts.
Structure of the answer:
Explain the following aspects:
- Discuss what the demands of the moderates were – like expansion of legislative council, responsible government etc.
- How these reforms were just shadow of what was actually demanded. For example – Indians were allowed to participate in the election of various legislative council but on the basis of class and community
- Numbers of elected members in legislative councils were increased but overall non official majority was introduced in provincial councils.
- Separate electorate for Muslims was introduced
Conclude that the reforms of 1909 instead of solving the political problems of the country created more chaos.