Topic: Modern Indian history from about the middle of the eighteenth century until the present significant events, personalities, issues
2) The Anglo-French Rivalry in India was a part of their global rivalry aiming supremacy. Trace the course of their wars in India and also, examine the reasons for French failure.(250 words)
Modern Indian history by spectrum publications
Why this question:
The question is from the static portions of Modern Indian history.
Key demand of the question:
The question is to trace the wars between English and French in India. So one has to explain Carnatic Wars and their result in detail and the entire struggle of the French to establish their supremacy.
Examine – When asked to ‘Examine’, we must look into the topic (content words) in detail, inspect it, investigate it and establish the key facts and issues related to the topic in question. While doing so we should explain why these facts and issues are important and their implications.
Structure of the answer:
The Anglo French Rivalry in India reflected the traditional rivalry throughout their history.
Explain first how it all started – It started with the outbreak of Austria war of Succession and ended with the conclusion of Seven years’ war.
Discuss the factors that led to victory of the British like –
Less governmental control over English company helped them in taking instant decisions unlike French
- Superiority of English Navy to the French counterpart.
- Strategic locations like Calcutta, Madras and Bombay occupied by English while French had just Pondicherry.
- French subordinated their commercial interest to territorial ambition which made them short of funds.
- Brilliant commanders like Rovert Clive, Eyre Coote in British camp while French had just Dupleix.
Explain the effect of it on rest of the dynamics around the period.
The end of Seven years of war finally decided that English and not French were to become masters of India.