Effect of policies and politics of developed and developing countries on India’s interests, Indian diaspora.
International Migrant Stock 2019
What to study?
For Prelims: Key findings.
For Mains: Migration- effects, challenges and ways to address them.
Context: Population Division of the UN Department of Economic and Social Affairs has released the International Migrant Stock 2019.
- A data of several international migrants by origin, age and sex for all countries and areas are included in the report.
- UN prepared this report with the help of population censuses, population registers and nationally representative surveys.
- India is the leading country of origin of international migrants in 2019 with a 17.5 million-strong diaspora.
- Most of the international migrants came from Bangladesh, Pakistan and Nepal.
- The number of migrants globally reached an estimated 272 million.
- After India, Migrants from Mexico makes the second largest diaspora (11.8 million), followed by China (10.7 million), Russia (10.5 million), Syria (8.2 million), Bangladesh (7.8 million), Pakistan (6.3 million), Ukraine (5.9 million), the Philippines (5.4 million) and Afghanistan (5.1 million).
- In Europe, 82 million migrants were settled there, followed by North America (59 million) and North Africa and Western Asia (49 million).
- USA is hosting the largest number of international migrants (51 million) while Saudi Arabia (13 million), Russia (12 million), England (10 million), France (8 million) and Italy (6 million) are also holding the large numbers of migrants.
The share of women and girls migrants fell slightly from 49% to 48% in the year 2019. Northern America had the highest (52%) number of women migrants. However, Europe (51%), Sub-Saharan Africa (47 %) and Northern Africa and Western Asia (36 %) also experienced the issue of women migrants.
Sources: the Hindu.