- Development processes and the development industry the role of NGOs, SHGs, various groups and associations, donors, charities, institutional and other stakeholders.
Village volunteer system
What to study?
For prelims: Key features of the scheme.
For mains: need for, significance of the scheme, backwardness of villages and ways to address the issue.
Context: The ward and village volunteer system has been launched in Andhra Pradesh.
Aim: The system is aimed at ensuring an efficient and corruption-free delivery of the government’s welfare schemes to households.
- Village Volunteers System will take governance to the doorsteps of the people.
- The programme would involve 2.8 lakh volunteers.
- The volunteers will conduct door-to-door visits and provide the benefits under various programmes to eligible beneficiaries.
- The volunteers will identify the problems being faced by people in their jurisdiction and take steps towards solving them.
- Village secretariats would be set up in each village to deliver governance to people in 72 hours.
- This scheme involves provision of one volunteer to cover 50 families in each village. Identity cards would be given to the volunteers and they would be given an honorarium of Rs 5,000 per month.
- The volunteers would first identify the beneficiaries, get to know their problems and then delineate the schemes being provided by the government for them.
Significance of the scheme:
The basic idea behind implementing the scheme is to infuse confidence among the people and to see that their basic needs are met. The scheme would be able to reach the poorest of the poor and make villages self-sufficient.
Sources: the Hindu.