Topic: Post-independence consolidation and reorganization within the country.
1) Discuss the salient features of the Indian independence act (1947) relating to the transfer of power. How far have they been successful in terms of relevance of today’s political set up?(250 words)
Why this question:
The question is in the context of recent legal nuances of abrogation of Article 370.
Key demand of the question:
One has to discuss the salient features of Indian Independence act of 1947 in detail and then explain its significance and relevance as of today.
Discuss – This is an all-encompassing directive – you have to debate on paper by going through the details of the issues concerned by examining each one of them. You have to give reasons for both for and against arguments.
Structure of the answer:
Discuss the background of the act in short.
Explain first the Important provisions under this Act –
- Partition of the British India into two new and fully sovereign dominions-India and Pakistan with effect from August 15, 1947;
- Division of the provinces of Bengal & Punjab among the two newly formed countries;
- The offices of Governor-General in both the countries would be set up. These Governor-General would be representing the Crown;
- The complete legislative authority would be conferred in the hands of the Constituent Assemblies of the two new countries;
- The British suzerainty over the princely states would be terminated from August 15, 1947;
- Abolishing the use of title “Emperor of India” by the British monarch;
- The Act includes the division of the armed forces between the two countries.
Discuss then the relevance of it today.
Conclude with significance.