- Salient features of the Representation of People’s Act.
Electronically transmitted Postal Ballot System (ETPBS)
What to study?
For Prelims and Mains: Who is a Service Voter, how can he cast vote, significance and challenges associated, Key features of ETPBS.
Context: In the seven phases Lok Sabha polls, a record 18,02,646 eligible personnel were enrolled and 10,84,266 voted through the Electronically Transmitted Postal Ballot System (ETPBS) or e-postal ballots.
Electronically transmitted Postal Ballot System (ETPBS):
- ETPBS is developed by Election Commission of India with the help of Centre for Development of Advanced Computing (C-DAC), for the use of the Service Voters.
- It is a fully secured system, having two layers of security. Secrecy is maintained through the use of OTP and PIN and no duplication of casted Electronically Transmitted Postal Ballot (ETPB) is possible due to the unique QR Code.
- Persons working in paramilitary forces and the military and government officials deployed in diplomatic missions outside India are classified as Service Voters.
Significance and benefits:
- This system enables the entitled service voters to cast their vote using an electronically received postal ballot from anywhere outside their constituency.
- The voters who make such a choice will be entitled for Postal Ballot delivered through Electronic Media for a particular election.
- The developed System is implemented inline with the existing Postal Ballot System. Postal Ballot will be transmitted through Electronic Means to the voters.
- It enables the voters to cast their vote on an electronically received postal ballot from their preferred location, which is outside their originally assigned voting constituency.
- This system would be an easier option of facilitating voting by the electors as the time constraint for dispatch of postal ballot has been addressed using this system.
Class of Electors who are eligible for ETPBS:
- Service Voters, other than those who opt for proxy voting (Classified Service Voters).
- The wife of a Service Voter who ordinarily resides with him.
- Overseas Voters.
- Service voters can avail this service from anywhere outside their constituency.
- System facilitates creation of service voter electoral roll data.
- Easy, Efficient and Hassle free.
- It is a secure system, having two layer security.
- OTP is required to download encrypted Electronically Transmitted Postal Ballot file.
- Secrecy is maintained and no duplicate of casted ETPB is possible due to QR code.
- PIN is required to decrypt, print and deliver ETPB.