Topic:Bilateral, regional and global groupings and agreements involving India and/or affecting India’s interests, Effect of policies and politics of developed and developing countries on India’s interests, Indian diaspora.
3) “The confrontation between the U.S. and Iran in West Asia could snowball with damaging economic consequences”. Comment. (250 words)
Why this question:
Iran recently announced that it would begin enriching uranium above a concentration of 3.67% permitted under the nuclear deal, known as the Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action (JCPOA); the steps come in the wake of increasing tensions between the U.S. and Iran following the shooting down of an unmanned U.S. drone over the Strait of Hormuz in June.
Demand of the question:
The answer must evaluate in what way the increasing tensions between the two countries may lead to damaging economic consequences.
Comment– here we have to express our knowledge and understanding of the issue and form an overall opinion thereupon.
Structure of the answer:
Draw a sketch of the background of the ongoing conflict between Iran and the US.
The answer should discuss the following facets:
- What is the Iran Nuclear deal about? Why did Iran agree to the deal? Why has US pulled out of the deal?
- What are the implications of US sanctions on Iran?
- Global Implications of the ongoing conflict in the economic domain.
- Discuss specific impact it would have on India.
Conclude with need for urgent resolution of the conflict for the global good.