Topic: Bilateral, regional and global groupings and agreements involving India and/or affecting India’s interests.
1) Do you agree India’s strategy for Indo-Pacific needs to recognise the importance of the continent of Africa? Critically analyse.(250 words)
Why this question:
The article talks about the need to focus on the continent of Africa from a newer perspective essential for the changing Indo-Pacific needs.
Demand of the question:
One has to appreciate the role of the African continent with the Indi-pacific perspective.
Critically analyze – When asked to analyze, you have to examine methodically the structure or nature of the topic by separating it into component parts and present them as a whole in a summary. When ‘critically’ is suffixed or prefixed to a directive, one needs to look at the good and bad of the topic and give a fair judgement.
Structure of the answer:
Start by highlighting first the importance of Indi-Pacific region for India and other world countries.
Discussion should have the following different aspects covered:
- First bring out the new geopolitical construct that surrounds the region.
- Explain how and why South East Asia has been central to the Indo-Pacific debate and more importantly Africa has remained a neglected element.
- Then explain why is Africa important?
- Discuss the stakeholder countries in the region, how the power equation is defined for the region?
- India’s stand and what needs to be done?
Conclude with way forward and by reasserting the need to focus on Africa.