Topic: Government policies and interventions for development in various sectors and issues arising out of their design and implementation.Important aspects of governance, transparency and accountability.Cyber security related issues.
2) Do you think the Indian government’s intent towards data protection lie in favour data localisation? Critically analyse. (250 words)
Why this question:
The article discusses why the Indian government intends in favor of data localization.
Key demand of the question:
One has to discuss the concept of data localization; Why government wants this? Concerns expressed by stakeholders and possible solutions.
Critically analyze – When asked to analyze, you have to examine methodically the structure or nature of the topic by separating it into component parts and present them as a whole in a summary. When ‘critically’ is suffixed or prefixed to a directive, one needs to look at the good and bad of the topic and give a fair judgement.
Structure of the answer:
Begin with the concept of data localisation.
Explain the following points:
- What is the issue associated?
- What does data localization mean? – is a sensitive issue the world over and more so in India, given that this is a country of 1.3 billion people with over 1 billion mobile users. With technology developing rapidly, more and more devices becoming smarter and the Internet of Things taking over, a genuine concern around leakage of private data has gained ground.
- Explain why data localization is necessary for India? What are the policies that imply data localization?
- Discuss the concerns and challenges.
Conclude with the fact that there is an urgent need to have an integrated, long-term strategy for policy creation for data localization.