- Statutory, regulatory and various quasi-judicial bodies.
North Eastern Council
What to study?
For Prelims: NEC, its functions and composition.
For Mains: Significance of North Eastern region of the country and efforts by government for the development of the region.
Context: Centre releases 3rd issue of Newsletter of North Eastern Council.
- NEC was established under the North Eastern Council Act, 1971as an apex level body for securing balanced and coordinated development and facilitating coordination with the States.
- Subsequent to the Amendment of 2002, NEC has been mandated to function as a regional planning body for the North Eastern Area and while formulating a regional plan for this area, shall give priority to the schemes and projects benefiting two or more states provided that in the case of Sikkim, the Council shall formulate specific projects and schemes for that State.
- The Union Cabinet, in June 2018, approved the proposal of Ministry of Development of North Eastern Region (DoNER) for the nomination of the Union Home Minister as ex-officio Chairman of North Eastern Council (NEC). The Cabinet also approved that Minister of State (Independent Charge), Ministry of DoNER would serve as Vice Chairman of the Council.
- NEC and all the Governors and Chief Ministers of North Eastern States will be Members.