Topic: Indian Economy and issues relating to planning, mobilization of resources, growth, development and employment.
4) Global arrangements may not avert local failures and are as likely to be captured by special interests as domestic politics, critically analyse the statement in the light of recent national security argument for tariffs made by the US.(250 words)
Why this question:
The article discusses how Global arrangements may not avert local failures and are as likely to be captured by special interests as domestic politics in the backdrop of the US President Donald Trump who has used national security as a justification for his tariffs on steel imports, his threatened tariff hikes on autos and the tariffs he recently vowed to impose on Mexican imports.
Key demand of the question:
The answer must evaluate in detail the contradictions around global agreement vis-à-vis domestic policies and interests.
Critically analyze – When asked to analyze, you have to examine methodically the structure or nature of the topic by separating it into component parts and present them as a whole in a summary. When ‘critically’ is suffixed or prefixed to a directive, one needs to look at the good and bad of the topic and give a fair judgement.
Structure of the answer
In a few introductory lines bring out the context of the question.
Answers must discuss the following aspects –
- The critical challenge of global governance is determining the dividing line between policy domains in which nation-states are free to do as they please and those that are regulated by international agreement. In a world economy that has become increasingly interdependent, pretty much everything that one country does spills over to others.
- What are the reasons to worry?
- Explain the debate around international agreements vs domestic policies in the name of national security, to what extent are they justified?
- Take hints from the article and conclude what measures must be taken.
Conclude with way forward.