Topic: Development processes and the development industry- the role of NGOs, SHGs, various groups and associations, donors, charities, institutional and other stakeholders.
3) What are self-help groups? Discuss the critical role played by them in the rural development of India.(250 words)
Indian polity by Lakshmikanth
Why this question:
The question is about discussing self-help groups and their role in rural development.
Key demand of the question:
The question is straightforward and one must discuss the concept of self-help groups, their role in general and specific role in rural development in the country.
Discuss – This is an all-encompassing directive – you have to debate on paper by going through the details of the issues concerned by examining each one of them. You have to give reasons for both for and against arguments.
Structure of the answer:
Begin with brief introduction on what are self- help groups.
Have the following dimensions covered in your answer –
- Self Help Groups are groups of 10-20 people in a locality formed for any social or economic purpose. Most of the SHGs are formed for the purpose of better financial security among its members. SHGs can exist with or without registration. SHGs in India often work in association with Banks (SHG – Bank Linkage Programme).
- The same is basis of Indian Micro finance Model too. SHG – Bank Linkage was started in India in 1992 under the guidelines of NABARD and Reserve Bank of India.
- Discuss their origin in brief.
- Role played by self-help groups in general, then move onto discussing their role in rural development.
Conclude with way forward.