Topic: population and associated issues, poverty and developmental issues. Government policies and interventions for development in various sectors and issues arising out of their design and implementation.
4) Discuss in detail the efforts taken by India in fighting the social ill of child labour.(250 words)
Why this question:
On World Day Against Child Labour (June 12) in 2017, India ratified two core conventions of the International Labour Organization on child labour. It now has to double its efforts to ensure that the benefit of those conventions reach the most vulnerable children.
Key demand of the question:
The answer must discuss in detail efforts taken by India in eliminating child labour which is a prevalent social evil even today.
Discuss – This is an all-encompassing directive – you have to debate on paper by going through the details of the issues concerned by examining each one of them. You have to give reasons for both for and against arguments.
Structure of the answer:
In a few lines discuss the state of child labour in the country.
The answer must discuss the following:
- Provide for data/facts to highlight the conditions of child labour in India.
- as per the 2011 Census, in the age group 5-14 years, 10.1 million of 259.6 million constituted working children.
- Move on to discuss the significance of the ratification of the core conventions.
- Explain what needs to be done?
- What should be the approach?
Conclude with way forward.