Topic: Government policies and interventions for development in various sectors and issues arising out of their design and implementation.
3) Discuss what you understand by the three-language formula. What are the concerns associated over imposition of Hindi? suggest reforms required in this direction.(250 words)
Why this question:
A 50-year-old controversy got a new lease of life recently when a paragraph in the Draft New Education Policy 2019 referred to the mandatory teaching of Hindi in States where Hindi is not spoken. This was a reiteration of the Central government’s three-language formula, but it set off a storm in Tamil Nadu, which stoutly opposes any attempt to impose Hindi and adheres to a two-language formula. The Union government sought to neutralise the hostile reaction by dropping the controversial reference to Hindi.
Key demand of the question:
The answer must discuss in detail the three-language formula, need, concerns associated over imposition of Hindi and the need for reforms.
Discuss – This is an all-encompassing directive – you have to debate on paper by going through the details of the issues concerned by examining each one of them. You have to give reasons for both for and against arguments.
Structure of the answer
In a few introductory lines define the idea of three language formula
Answers must discuss the following aspects –
- Start by discussing the issue and its backdrop.
- Discuss the origin of the concept of the three-language formula.
- What is the entire controversy around Hindi language?
- What are the challenges involved?
- What needs to be done?
Conclude with way forward.