Topic: Government policies and interventions for development in various sectors and issues arising out of their design and implementation. Conservation, environmental pollution and degradation.
2) “Fixing India’s water crisis will need saner policies, meticulous strategy and a massive amount of public participation”. Critically analyse. (250 words)
Why this question:
The article discusses in detail the water woes that are unraveling in many parts of the country.
Key demand of the question:
The answer must address the methods and ways in terms of policies that are must required for addressing the water crisis across the country. One must discuss the need for systematic solutions.
Critically analyze – When asked to analyze, you have to examine methodically the structure or nature of the topic by separating it into component parts and present them as a whole in a summary. When ‘critically’ is suffixed or prefixed to a directive, one needs to look at the good and bad of the topic and give a fair judgement.
Structure of the answer:
Begin with brief introduction on the current water crisis situation of the country.
- One must quote facts to depict the current water crisis situation facing the country. Studies warn that a seasonal drought is, in fact, a full-blown water crisis, accentuated by poor planning. Groundwater and sand extraction from river beds and basins has turned unsustainable, say many government and independent studies.
- Discuss the causative factors of such drought like conditions.
- What needs to be done at the planning and policy level?
- Take hints from the article, suggest solutions using case studies.
Conclude with way forward.