Topic: Disaster and disaster management.
6) What are heat waves and how are they classified? Discuss the effects of heatwaves on health, environment and economy and suggest how should India be prepared?(250 words)
Why this question:
The Article discusses in what way heat-wave action plans can help city administrations cope with the worst of summer.
Key demand of the question:
The answer must explain what are heat waves, the causes of heatwaves, effect of heatwaves on health, environment and economy. Also one has to elaborate on the steps that are required to be taken in Indian context.
Comment– here we have to express our knowledge and understanding of the issue and form an overall opinion thereupon.
Structure of the answer:
Begin with a definition of what you understand by heatwaves.
The answer must discuss the following:
- Heat wave is considered if maximum temperature of a station reaches at least 40°C or more for Plains, 37°C or more for coastal stations and at least 30°C or more for Hilly regions.
- Discuss the criteria used to declare heat wave.
- Explain the causes and consequences, health impacts of Heat Waves, on economy, environment etc.
- Quote reasons – why India is experiencing more heat waves, what needs to be done?
- Conclude with way forward.
Conclude with solutions to overcome the challenge.