Topic: Government policies and interventions for development in various sectors and issues arising out of their design and implementation
1) Discuss the unique features of draft National Education Policy, 2019. What are the challenges and roadblocks in front of it and how should the government in power overcome the same? (250 words)
Why this question:
The article throws light upon the draft National Education Policy, 2019. It highlights how inputs from the T.S.R. Subramanian Committee report and the Ministry of Human Resource Development (MHRD), the K. Kasturirangan Committee has produced a document that is comprehensive, far-sighted and grounded in realities.
Key demand of the question:
The answer must provide for a detailed analysis of the draft education policy 2019, its key features, pros and cons. Challenges in implementing the same.
Discuss – This is an all-encompassing directive – you have to debate on paper by going through the details of the issues concerned by examining each one of them. You have to give reasons for both for and against arguments.
Structure of the answer
write a few introductory lines on the current education policy of India.
Have the following points in the answer:
- Explain the key features of the policy – how it seeks to revamp all aspects of the sector and does not shy away from suggesting brave new ideas.
- Discuss in detail – universal foundational literacy and numeracy, idea to cover children of 3-18 years [instead of the present 6-14 years under the Right to Education (RTE) Act], aim is to double the Gross Enrolment Ratio from 25% to 50% by 2035 and make universities the hubs of research (with Tier I universities/institutions devoted primarily to research and some teaching, Tier 2 universities devoted to teaching and some research, and Tier 3 institutions comprising mainly colleges that are to be converted gradually into degree-giving autonomous institutions).
- Then move on to discuss the challenges that are being faced in implementing the same.
- Discuss what needs to be done?
Conclude with significance and need of a robust national education policy.