Topic : Indian Economy and issues relating to planning, mobilization of resources, growth, development and employment.
5) India’s unemployment challenge party lies in its success in expanding education while not expanding formal sector jobs. Comment. (250 words)
Why this question:
The Article discusses at length the problem of unemployment and in what way one needs to see rising unemployment as a function of rising education and aspirations.
Key demand of the question:
The answer must explain the causes of rising unemployment challenge in India, what are the factors responsible and how it can be resolved.
Comment– here we have to express our knowledge and understanding of the issue and form an overall opinion thereupon.
Structure of the answer:
Begin with brief write up on the current unemployment scenario of the country.
The answer must discuss the following:
- Quote the facts from the report from the Periodic Labour Force Survey (PLFS).
- Discuss the conditions which suggest that part of India’s unemployment challenge lies in its success in expanding education while not expanding formal sector jobs.
- Explain in detail the observations taken together which suggest that the roots of India’s present-day unemployment challenges lie in its very success. Educational expansion affects the unemployment debate by skewing the unemployment statistics and by creating greater competition for well-paid jobs among a rising population of educated youth. Rising prosperity allows young graduates to wait for well-paying jobs, creating an army of educated unemployed, before being forced to accept any work, frequently returning to family farms or starting small shops.
- Conclude with way forward.
Conclude with solutions to overcome the challenge.