- The Centre has created a new Ministry called ‘Jal Shakti’.
- It has been created by merger of Ministries of Water Resources, River Development & Ganga Rejuvenation along with Drinking Water and Sanitation.
- ‘Nal se Jal’ scheme to provide piped drinking water to every household will be a component of government’s Jal Jivan Mission.
- The ministry will roll out government’s ambitious plans to provide piped water connections to every household in India by 2024.
- It will also address international and inter-states water disputes and the Namami Gange project which is the flagship initiative to clean the River Ganga, its tributaries and sub-tributaries.