Topic: Social issues
3) “Suicides are a not just a consequence of psychological or emotional influences alone but have social dimensions too”. Discuss in the context of rising student suicides in India.(250 words)
Why this question:
The article discusses the death of Payal Tadvi, a 26-year-old resident doctor at Mumbai’s BYL Nair Hospital, which has exposed yet again the insidious nature of discrimination and casteism against Scheduled Caste (SC)/Scheduled Tribe (ST) students in medical colleges.
Demand of the question:
Answer must discuss how suicides are a not anymore just a consequence of psychological or emotional influences alone but have social dimensions too.
Discuss – This is an all-encompassing directive – you have to debate on paper by going through the details of the issues concerned by examining each one of them. You have to give reasons for both for and against arguments.
Structure of the answer:
Start with stating facts of the scenario.
Discuss the following points in detail:
- First bring out the general reasons for suicides ranging from fear of failing in examinations, constant criticism from teachers, bullying from peers, family pressure and a loss of a sense of a decent future etc.
- Then discuss what are the social reasons?
- Discuss the cases of Rohit vemula, Payal Tadvi.
- Infer what needs to be done to do away with such heinous incidences.
Conclude with what needs to be done.