Topic: Important International institutions, agencies and fora- their structure, mandate
3) Discuss the Role and significance of Asian Development Bank.(250 words)
Why this question:
Key demand of the question:
The answer must discuss the role and significance of Asian development bank.
Discuss – This is an all-encompassing directive – you have to debate on paper by going through the details of the issues concerned by examining each one of them. You have to give reasons for both for and against arguments.
Structure of the answer:
Briefly explain the mandate of the Asian Development bank.
Body of the answer should discuss the following aspects:
- Established in 1966, and is closely modeled on the World Bank; has a
- similar weighted voting system where votes are distributed based on
member’s capital subscriptions.
- ADB borrows from international capital markets with its capital as Guarantee.
- Since the ADB’s early days, critics have charged that the two major
- donors, Japan and the United States, have had extensive influence over
- lending, policy and staffing decisions.
- There has been criticism that ADB’s large scale projects cause social and environmental damage due to lack of oversight.
- India has about 6% voting rights (4th highest; second highest is USA,
Conclude with way forward.