Topic: Important International institutions, agencies and fora- their structure, mandate.
2) Describe India’s core foreign policy goals and origin of QUAD. How is QUAD a reflection of multi-polar foreign policy.(250 words)
Why this question:
Question is straightforward and is about discussing role played by India in QUAD.
Key demand of the question:
The answer must discuss QUAD as reflection of India’s multi-polar foreign policy.
Structure of the answer
write a few introductory lines on what is the QUAD.
Answers must discuss the following aspects:
- Significance of QUAD vis-à-vis India’s multi-polar foreign policy.
- Explain how QUAD membership reinforces India’s policy –
- China’s assertion in South China Sea (SCS) compromises freedom of navigation. Through QUAD India seeks to reassert rule-based world order to counter China’s growing power and assertion.
- Democratic, Cooperative and Peacekeeping endeavor: The QUAD initiative is group of four largest and powerful democracies in the world which values democratic, peaceful, rule based international order.
- India held that the Quad was more about sharing democratic experiences than a security arrangement directed at China.
- Emergence of Indo-pacific: USA under its pivot to China policy held Indo-Pacific region is now world’s most strategic location.
- Different nations are seeking to project their strategic power in the region.
- India’s membership to QUAD should be seen in this light as a counterbalancing initiative to secure its own neighborhood.
Conclude with way forward.