Topic: Important International institutions, agencies and fora- their structure, mandate.
4) What is UN-Habitat programme? What are its objectives? Discuss with special emphasis on role played by India with respect to it.(250 words)
Why this question:
Question is straightforward and is about discussing the UN Habitat programme in detail. India has been elected to the Executive Board of the first UN-Habitat Assembly at the Plenary Session of the Assembly started on May 27, 2019 in Nairobi, Kenya. The special theme for the UN-Habitat Assembly is “Innovation for Better Quality of Life in Cities and Communities”.
Key demand of the question:
The answer must discuss in detail the mandate, significance and objectives of the program and the role India has in it.
Discuss – This is an all-encompassing directive – you have to debate on paper by going through the details of the issues concerned by examining each one of them. You have to give reasons for both for and against arguments.
Structure of the answer
write a few introductory lines on what is the programme about.
Answers must discuss the following aspects :
- What is it? It is the United Nations agency for human settlements and sustainable urban development.
- Objectives: To promote socially and environmentally sustainable towns & cities with the goal of providing adequate shelter for all.
- Parent agency: It report to the UN General Assembly. It is also a member of the United Nations Development Group.
- What are its mandate?
- Role played by India – past to present?
Conclude with way forward.