Topic: Important International institutions, agencies and fora- their structure, mandate.
3) Discuss the significance of BIMSTEC in bridging South Asia and Southeast Asia. What is India’s stake in the region? Elaborate.(250 words)
Why this question:
By inviting leaders from the BIMSTEC (Bay of Bengal Initiative for Multi-Sectoral Technical and Economic Cooperation) countries, Kyrgyz Republic and Mauritius at his swearing-in ceremony on May 30, Prime Minister Narendra Modi has made a carefully calibrated diplomatic move that signals a major outreach to India’s neighborhood from the Bay of Bengal to Central Asia, as well as the Indian diaspora across the world.
Key demand of the question:
The answer must discuss the significance of BIMSTEC in bridging south Asia and Southeast Asia. And India’s stake in the region in detail.
Discuss – This is an all-encompassing directive – you have to debate on paper by going through the details of the issues concerned by examining each one of them. You have to give reasons for both for and against arguments.
Structure of the answer:
Briefly explain the mandate of BIMSTEC in general.
Body of the answer should discuss the following aspects:
- Explain what is BIMSTEC?
- Discuss why the region matters?
- The Bay of Bengal is the largest bay in the world. Over one-fifth (22%) of the world’s population live in the seven countries around it, and they have a combined GDP close to $2.7 trillion.
- Despite economic challenges, all the countries in the region have been able to sustain average annual rates of economic growth between 3.4% and 7.5% from 2012 to 2016.
- The Bay also has vast untapped natural resources. One-fourth of the world’s traded goods cross the Bay every year.
- India’s stake in the region in detail.
- Conclude as to what can be the way ahead.
Conclude with way forward.