Topic: Salient features of Indian Society, population and associated issues, poverty and developmental issues.
1) Manual scavenging in india still remains a lethal Filth. Critically Analyse the statement with emphasis on initiatives taken by the government in this direction and reason for their failures.(250 words)
Why this question:
While expressing concern over the continuing practice of manual scavenging, National Human Rights Commission (NHRC) chairperson H.L. Dattu recently stated that just putting in place laws was not enough, they need to be implemented proactively.
Key demands of the question:
The answer must briefly discuss the menace of manual scavenging looming the country even today despite so many initiatives taken by the government. One has to critically analyse the causes of it and discuss the way forward.
Critically analyze – When asked to analyze, you have to examine methodically the structure or nature of the topic by separating it into component parts and present them as a whole in a summary. When ‘critically’ is suffixed or prefixed to a directive, one needs to look at the good and bad of the topic and give a fair judgement.
Structure of the answer:
In a few introductory lines explain the general conditions of scavenging in India.
The answer must explain the following aspects:
- What are the conditions of manual scavengers in India today?
- What are the government initiatives present?
- Why are most initiatives failing to address the issue?
- Discuss the existing challenges.
- Why is the condition more appalling in urban regions?
- Discuss the causes of the above – societal, political and economic aspects.
- Explain what are the consequences of it on the society.
Conclude with what needs to be done to overcome such a social issue.