Topic: Disaster and Disaster Management.
5) “There have been numerous fire accidents this year causing significant loss of life and property. While the government and other regulatory bodies have prescribed norms and fire safety measures, implementation and vigilance continue to be grave concern.” Critically analyse.(250 words)
Why this question:
At least 20 students were killed, either due to suffocation or falling off the windows in an attempt to escape fire in a coaching centre blaze, in Surat yesterday. Such a disturbing incident necessitates us to take a look at the fire safety aspects of the country and the lacunae therein.
Demand of the question:
The answer must discuss the issues involved and causes for such recurrent fatal fire incidents and the need for overhaul of measures and norms in place to overcome such disasters.
Critically analyze – When asked to analyze, you have to examine methodically the structure or nature of the topic by separating it into component parts and present them as a whole in a summary. When ‘critically’ is suffixed or prefixed to a directive, one needs to look at the good and bad of the topic and give a fair judgement.
Structure of the answer:
The answer to the question must have the following parts:
- Quote the recent incidences that were witnessed.
- Discuss how such fatal fire incidents necessitates a relook at the current rule, regulations and norms that are almost defunct in practice and corrective measures for the same.
- Discuss who all are vulnerable to it, stakeholders involved.
- What needs to be done to overcome the alarming issue?
- Discuss the institutional mechanisms, health and disaster management aspect of both life and property.
Conclude with what should be the way ahead.