Topic: Environment, climate change
2) “India’s climate adaptation needs are high but also diverse given the bio-geographic and climate variations.” Discuss.(250 words)
Why this question:
The article discusses in detail the case of Climate change knowledge management in India.
Key demand of the question:
The answer must evaluate how India’s climate adaptation needs are high but also diverse, given the bio-geographic and climate variations.
Discuss – This is an all-encompassing directive – you have to debate on paper by going through the details of the issues concerned by examining each one of them. You have to give reasons for both for and against arguments.
Structure of the answer:
In a few introductory lines explain what you understand by the question; climate change knowledge, its application in India.
Body of the answer to capture the following dimensions:
- What is Knowledge management? – Knowledge management is an important component in technical assistance programmes on climate change, which aims to capture good practices for feeding into development policies and programmes and support capacity building.
- What is the Indian case? – the bio-geographic and climate variations from the coasts to the Himalayan mountain ranges, and average annual rainfall pattern varying from 300 to 3,000 millimeter (mm). Explain that There is a deficiency of knowledge products on climate change impacts, vulnerability assessment and cost-effective adaptation and resilience planning.
- Highlight what are the policies in this direction? – National Mission on Strategic Knowledge on Climate Change, what are the mission objectives etc.
- Discuss what needs to be done?
Conclude with what should be the way forward.