Topic: Conservation, environmental pollution and degradation, environmental impact assessment.
5) According to a new study released by the World Resources Institute (WRI), India’s forest cover stands at 21% against global standard of 33.3%. critically analyse the alarming situation of India’s declining forest cover. What needs to be done?(250 words)
Why this question:
The question is to debate the current alarming conditions of forest cover in India.
Demand of the question:
The answer must explain the current conditions of the forest cover, reasons that have lead to the decline and suggestions as to what should be the way forward to tackle the alarming issue.
Critically analyze – When asked to analyze, you have to examine methodically the structure or nature of the topic by separating it into component parts and present them as a whole in a summary. When ‘critically’ is suffixed or prefixed to a directive, one needs to look at the good and bad of the topic and give a fair judgement.
Structure of the answer:
The answer to the question must have the following parts:
- Quote the report and facts of it – World Resources Institute (WRI), India’s forest cover stands at 21% against global standard of 33.3%.
- Discuss what are the reasons causing the decline in the forest cover?
- What are its consequences?
- What needs to be done to overcome the alarming issue?
Conclude with what should be the way ahead.