Topic: Issues relating to development and management of Social Sector/Services relating to Health, Education, Human Resources.
2) What are the bottlenecks in the delivery of nutrition interventions to pregnant women in India? Discuss more so specifically with respect to Maternal nutrition and suggest solutions to tackle the same. (250 words)
Why this question:
The article discusses in detail the issues surrounding maternal nutrition interventions in India. The article emphasizes on how Maternal nutrition is important due to its critical and complex association with women’s well-being and implications for child development.
Key demand of the question:
The answer must evaluate the bottlenecks in the delivery of nutrition to the women facing maternal malnourishment. One has to suggest solutions to address such maternal and child undernutrition prevalent and analyse the failures of the past and present mechanisms trying to address the situation.
Discuss – This is an all-encompassing directive – you have to debate on paper by going through the details of the issues concerned by examining each one of them. You have to give reasons for both for and against arguments.
Structure of the answer:
In a few introductory lines explain what you understand by maternal nutrition.
- Body of the answer to capture the following dimensions:
- Importance of Maternal nutrition to women’s well-being and implications for child development.
- Quote facts to highlight the issue. ( from NFHS-4 etc.)
- Discuss what are the issues currently associated with nutrition intervention schemes and policies? Why are they failing? – Access to prenatal and postnatal care is limited, lack of budgets for nutrition interventions, delay in fund releases and shortage of staff and infrastructure against sanctions/norms, and qualitative evidence etc.
- Then move on to suggest an analysis as to what needs to be done? How can one overcome these challenges?
- What kind of overhaul is required etc.
Conclude with what should be the way forward.