Topic: India and its neighborhood- relations.
2) Discuss in detail the issue of displacement of Rohingya community. What are controversies associated and highlight role of India in addressing the issue. (250 words)
Why this question:
The article discusses the case of Rohingya repatriation in detail. It narrates briefly the issue on a broader picture, causes and its consequences with special emphasis on India’s role in the scenario.
Key demands of the question:
The answer must briefly discuss issues associated with displacement of Rohingya community, the challenges it is posing in the region and the key role India has to the issue.
Discuss – This is an all-encompassing directive – you have to debate on paper by going through the details of the issues concerned by examining each one of them. You have to give reasons for both for and against arguments.
Structure of the answer:
In a few introductory lines explain the background/context of the question.
The body of the answer has to capture the following aspects:
- Discuss who are Rohingyas and what is the issue? – They are an Ethnic group, mostly Muslims. They were not granted full citizenship by Myanmar. They were classified as “resident foreigners or associate citizens”.
- What are the Concerns with regard to these Illegal Migrants? – The Myanmar Government says that Rohingya people are not Burmese citizens – but the Rohingya have been living in Myanmar for generations. Today, they are a people with no home or citizenship.
- Rohingya people are being widely abused and exploited. They are one of the most persecuted minorities in the world.
- Discuss the Rohingya crisis and Implications for the Region.
- India’s role and stand on the issue.
Conclude with way forward.