- economics of animal-rearing.
What to study?
For prelims and mains: Ongole cattle- significance and the need for conservation.
Context: Vice President of India, M. Venkaiah Naidu has called for protecting Ongole cattle breed.
About Ongole cattle:
- It is an indigenous cattle breed that originates from Prakasam District in the state of Andhra Pradesh. The breed derives its name from the place the breed originates from, Ongole.
- The Ongole breed of cattle, Bos Indicus, has a great demand as it is said to possess resistance to both foot and mouth disease and mad cow disease.
- The Ongole is one of the heaviest breeds.
- These cattle are commonly used in bull fights in Mexico and some parts of East Africa due to their strength and aggressiveness. They also participate in traditional bull fights in Andhra Pradesh and Tamil Nadu.
- It has a great similarity with the Gaolao breed of Madhya Predesh and also has a resemblance to the Bhagnari type of cattle in the north of India.