Topic: Important aspects of governance, transparency and accountability, e-governance- applications, models, successes, limitations, and potential; citizens charters, transparency & accountability and institutional and other measures.
3) Discuss what role Civil society has a to play in restoring institutions that form the bulwark of democracy.(250 words)
Why this question:
The article brings to light various instances where serious loss of credibility of democratic institutions has been witnessed across the world and amidst such conditions it highlights the role played by Civil society in preserving and restoring the tenets of Democracy.
Key demands of the question:
The answer must briefly discuss the role of Civil society in maintaining a true democracy by protecting the institutions that are bulwarks of democracy.
Discuss – This is an all-encompassing directive – you have to debate on paper by going through the details of the issues concerned by examining each one of them. You have to give reasons for both for and against arguments.
Structure of the answer:
In a few introductory lines explain what you understand by civil societies.
The body of the answer has to capture the following aspects:
- Explain few incidences across the world highlighting the erosion of democratic values and its degradation.
- Discuss how democracy has been protected by civil society- how it has critiqued the faults of various regimes, role played by them in assistance of the government in restoring institutions that form the bulwark of democracy, keep vigil on complicit office-holders etc.
- Discuss Why is civil society important for democracy?
- Conclude with how Civil society organizations engage in advocating the public’s rights and wishes of the people, including but not limited to health, environment and economic rights. They fulfill important duties of checks and balances in democracies, they are able to influence the government and hold it accountable.
Conclude by reasserting their importance.