Topic :Food security; Technology missions; economics of animal-rearing.
7) Write a short note on seafood industry of India. Explain the need for sustainable aquaculture to counter setbacks it is facing and increase the production.(250 words)
Why this question:
The article provides for a brief account of shrimp production in the country and the challenges that the seafood industry is witnessing.
Key demand of the question:
Answer must discuss the significance of seafood industry; the challenges and future it has for the country. Suggest what should be the way forward by focusing on the need for sustainable aquaculture.
Explain – Clarify the topic by giving a detailed account as to how and why it occurred, or what is the particular context. You must be defining key terms where ever appropriate, and substantiate with relevant associated facts.
Structure of the answer:
In a few introductory lines highlight the facts related to seafood industry of India.
- In brief discuss the following aspects:
- In 2017-18, India’s seafood exports have seen a growth of 13.7% in quantity and 10.1% in value. Research expects that in 2019 India’s seafood exports will grow at 17-18%, clearly showing a demand for Indian products.
- his industry contributes 6.3% to the total global fish production and has 14.5 million people engaged in various fisheries-related activities.
- Explain the significance of the industry in terms of – livelihood, essential commercial enterprise in terms of exports etc.
- Discuss what are the challenges?
- Role and need of sustainable aquaculture.
Conclude with way forward.