National e-Vidhan Application (NeVA) Project
What to study?
For prelims and mains: key features and significance of the project.
Context: The Kerala Legislative Assembly recently announced an initiative to digitize all its records and proceedings under its ambitious project called E-Vidhan.
Significance: Once the project is completed, all the Assembly proceedings like submission of notice by a member, question and answers, and all the other correspondence and business concerning the Assembly will go paperless.
What is e-Vidhan?
- It is a Mission Mode Project (MMP) comes under the Digital India Programme.
- Ministry of Parliamentary Affairs (MoPA) is the ‘Nodal Ministry’ for its implementation in all the 31 States/UTs with Legislatures.
- The funding for e-Vidhan is provided by the MoPA and technical support by Ministry of Electronics and Information Technology (MietY).
- The funding of NeVA is through Central Sponsored Schemee. 60:40; and 90:10 for North East & hilly States and 100% for UTs.
Aim of the project: To bring all the legislatures of the country together, in one platform thereby creating a massive data depository without having the complexity of multiple applications.
- Paperless Assembly or e-Assembly is a concept involving of electronic means to facilitate the work of Assembly.
- It enables automation of entire law-making process, tracking of decisions and documents, sharing of information.
- Through the cloud technology (Meghraj), data deployed can be accessed anywhere at any time.
- Himachal Pradesh is already the first Digital Legislature of the country.
State Government’s Role in the implementation of e-Vidhan:
- The State Government will appoint a Secretary level officer to be designated as the nodal officer/representative for e-Vidhan implementation in the State Legislature(s).
- State Government will bear the funds required for running of e-Vidhan MMP after 3 years.
- The State Government will ensure capacity building for the effective implementation of e-Vidhan MMP module.
- State Government/Legislature will undertake maintenance and replacement of ICT equipment after 3 years.
Sources: the Hindu.