Topic: Security challenges and their management in border areas; linkages of organized crime with terrorism.
7) What do you understand by online extremism? Discuss the relevance of ‘Christchurch call to action’ recently seen in news to combat the same.(250 words)
Why this question:
India recently joined the global initiative to combat extremism online
The initiative ‘Christchurch call to action’ has been named after the New Zealand city where 51 people were killed in an attack on mosques.
Key demand of the question:
The answer must first address the concept of online extremism and then discuss broadly the genesis, objectives and significance of ‘Christchurch call to action’.
Discuss – This is an all-encompassing directive – you have to debate on paper by going through the details of the issues concerned by examining each one of them. You have to give reasons for both for and against arguments.
Structure of the answer:
In a few introductory lines discuss the relevance of the question. State recent terror attacks that took form of online extremism.
- Define online extremism – Online Extremism can be defined as advocating support of groups or causes that in any distribution of opinion would lie on one of the “tails”.
- The primary goal is to create online social network of unaffiliated sympathizers, propagandists, fighters and recruiters to create a thriving online extremist community (OEC).
- Then move on to discuss the genesis and objectives of the ‘Christchurch call to action’ – the initiative outlines collective, voluntary commitments from governments and online service providers intended to address the issue of terrorist and violent extremist content online and to prevent the abuse of the internet.
- The Christchurch attack highlighted the urgent need for action and enhanced cooperation among the wide range of actors with influence over this issue, including governments, civil society, and online service providers, such as social media companies, to eliminate terrorist and violent extremist content online.
Conclude with what should be the way forward.