Topic: Issues relating to development and management of Social Sector/Services relating to Health, Education, Human Resources.
4) While Life expectancy at birth refers to the average number of years an individual is expected to live, given mortality rates, India is experiencing a paradox of life expectancy increasing with increasing age. Discuss the causes of such a paradox and give your opinion.(250 words)
Why this question:
The article captures a detailed analysis of the paradox India is facing with respect to life expectancy.
Key demand of the question:
The answer must evaluate and analyse why there is a paradox in the life expectancy trends, one has to analyse the causative factors for the same.
Discuss – This is an all-encompassing directive – you have to debate on paper by going through the details of the issues concerned by examining each one of them. You have to give reasons for both for and against arguments.
Structure of the answer:
Begin with what you understand by life expectancy.
- Discussion should include the following aspects –
- Explain the nuances of life expectancy in general – how it is a measure of different aspects in population studies.
- Discuss the Indian case – why is there a paradox?
- What are the factors that have lead to inverse picture of the life expectancy in India? – take cues from the article.
- Conclude with significance of various govt. initiatives in this direction.
Conclude with way forward.