Topic: Welfare schemes for vulnerable sections of the population by the Centre and States and the performance of these schemes; mechanisms, laws, institutions and Bodies constituted for the protection and betterment of these vulnerable sections.
2) Discuss the objectives, composition and significance of National Commission for Safai Karamcharis far do you think the commission has been successful in addressing the issues of the vulnerable section? Comment. (250 words)
Why this question:
The Union Cabinet had recently approved the proposal for Extension of tenure of the National Commission for Safai Karamcharis (NCSK) for another three years.
Demand of the question:
The question is about discussing the objectives and significance of National Commission for Safai Karamcharis. Also analyse its achievements.
Discuss – This is an all-encompassing directive – you have to debate on paper by going through the details of the issues concerned by examining each one of them. You have to give reasons for both for and against arguments.
Structure of the answer:
Start with brief introduction highlighting the significance of Scheme for Higher Education Youth in Apprenticeship and Skills (SHREYAS).
Discuss the following points in detail:
- Explain – The NCSK was established in the year 1993 as per the provisions of the NCSK Act 1993 initially for the period up to 1997.
Later the validity of the Act was initially extended up to 2002 and thereafter up to 2004. The NCSK Act ceased to have effect from 2004. After that the tenure of the NCSK has been extended as a non-statutory body from time to time.
- Discuss the significant role played by the NCSK –
- Recommend to the Government regarding specific programmes for welfare of Safai Karamcharis, study and evaluate the existing welfare programmes for SafaiKaramcharis, investigate cases of specific grievances etc.
- Also as per the provisions of the Prohibition of Employment as Manual Scavengers and their Rehabilitation Act, the NCSK has been assigned the work to monitor the implementation of the Act, tender advice for its effective implementation to the Centre and State Governments and enquire into complaints regarding contravention/non-implementation of the provisions of the Act.
- Discuss their achievements.
Conclude with significance of such institutions in the upliftment of the vulnerable sections of the society.