Topic: moral and political attitudes
7) Differentiate between private/public morality and political morality, why do people choosing political life require ethics different from personal morality? Elucidate.(250 words)
Why this question:
The article discusses in detail that When people choose a political life, they ought to have to follow an ethic distinct from private morality. It highlights in detail how though related, political, public and private morality are not identical. They may come from the same source, but are distinct.
Key demand of the question:
Discuss by differentiating the private/public morality and political morality, explain how political life requires an ethics of different form.
Elucidate – Give a detailed account as to how and why it occurred, or what is the particular context. You must be defining key terms where ever appropriate, and substantiate with relevant associated facts.
Structure of the answer:
In a few introductory lines narrate the context of the question.
The answer must elucidate upon the following points :
- What do you understand by private/public morality and political morality?
- How are the two different?
- What are the different factors involved in deciding the two types of morality?
- Discuss the relevance of the two with individuals choosing political life.
- Discuss with suitable examples to justify your stand – take cues from the article to quote case studies.
Conclude with what should be the way forward.