Topic: Effect of policies and politics of developed and developing countries on India’s interests, Indian diaspora.
3) The Strait of Hormuz, a vital shipping route linking Middle East oil producers to markets in other parts of the world, has been at the heart of regional tensions for decades. Critically Analyse. (250 words)
Why this question:
Saudi Arabia said on Monday that two Saudi oil tankers were among vessels targeted in a “sabotage attack” off the coast of the United Arab Emirates, condemning it as an attempt to undermine the security of global crude supplies. The UAE said on Sunday that four commercial vessels were sabotaged near its Fujairah emirate, one of the world’s largest bunkering hubs lying just outside the Strait of Hormuz.
Key demand of the question:
The incidence above necessitates us to analyse the significance of Strait of Hormuz – a vital shipping route linking Middle East oil producers to markets in Asia, Europe, North America and beyond, has been at the heart of regional tensions for decades.
Critically analyze – When asked to analyze, you have to examine methodically the structure or nature of the topic by separating it into component parts and present them as a whole in a summary. When ‘critically’ is suffixed or prefixed to a directive, one needs to look at the good and bad of the topic and give a fair judgement.
Structure of the answer:
Begin with brief write up on geographical location of Strait of Hormuz – s a strategically important strait or narrow strip of water that links the Persian Gulf with the Arabian Sea and the Gulf of Oman.
- Discussion should include the following aspects –
- The answer must mainly focus at analyzing the importance of the Strait of Hormuz.
- Who controls the Strait of Hormuz? – Iran and Oman are the countries nearest to the Strait of Hormuz and share territorial rights over the waters.
- Narrate a brief upon the Geographic Importance and History of the Strait of Hormuz.
- What are the issues/tussle between different countries of the region?
- How it is a Chokepoint Between Persian Gulf and The Arabian Sea?
- What are the present situations?
- What needs to be done?
Conclude with way forward.