Topic: Welfare schemes for vulnerable sections of the population by the Centre and States and the performance of these schemes; mechanisms, laws, institutions and Bodies constituted for the protection and betterment of these vulnerable sections.
4) Evaluate the objectives of Deen Dayal Upadhyaya Grameen Kaushalya Yojana. How far has the scheme turned out to be a success? Discuss. (250 words)
Why this question:
The question is based on the static portions of the syllabus, it aims to analyse the achievements of Deen Dayal Upadhyaya Grameen Kaushalya Yojana.
Demand of the question:
This question seeks to examine Deen Dayal Upadhyaya Grameen Kaushalya Yojana and to what extent the scheme has succeeded in realizing the objectives of adding diversity to the incomes of rural poor families and cater to the career aspirations of rural youth.
Evaluate – When you are asked to evaluate, you have to pass a sound judgement about the truth of the given statement in the question or the topic based on evidences. You have to appraise the worth of the statement in question. There is scope for forming a personal opinion here.
Structure of the answer:
Start with brief introduction about the scheme.
Discuss the following points in detail:
- Discuss the key highlights of the scheme:
- DDU-GKY is a part of the National Rural Livelihood Mission (NRLM), tasked with the dual objectives of adding diversity to the incomes of rural poor families and cater to the career aspirations of rural youth.
- DDU-GKY is uniquely focused on rural youth between the ages of 15 and 35 years from poor families.
- Gram Panchayat will play a key role in generating awareness about the programme, facilitate mobilization of candidates, and assist in job melas and in tracking candidate placements.
- Mandatory coverage of socially disadvantaged groups (SC/ST 50%; Minority 15%; Women 33%).
- Guaranteed Placement for at least 75% trained candidates.
- Greater emphasis on projects for poor rural youth in Jammu and Kashmir (HIMAYAT), the North-East region and 27 Left-Wing Extremist (LWE) districts (ROSHINI).
- Explain how the scheme has been different from the past ones aiming at the same objectives?
- Discuss the merits and demerits associated.
Conclude with significance of such schemes in welfare of rural India.