Topic: Salient features of Indian Society, Social empowerment.
1) What is community-based policing? What are its goals? Discuss in the light of issues that for long have plagued and continue to plague Indian policing system. Suggest what needs to be done to better the present picture of the system.(250 words)
Why this question:
Recently as part of its community-policing initiatives, the Maharashtra police has decided to institutionalize the “best policing practices” that were or are being followed in districts across the state. These include the “police Didi” programme in Mumbai, the “bharosa (trust) cell” by the Pune and Nagpur police and so on. Thus, it is important for us to evaluate the significance of community policing in Indian context.
Key demands of the question:
The answer must briefly discuss the concept of community based policing, its merits and demerits vis-à-vis the existing police system that is plagued with plethora of issues.
Discuss – This is an all-encompassing directive – you have to debate on paper by going through the details of the issues concerned by examining each one of them. You have to give reasons for both for and against arguments.
Structure of the answer:
In a few introductory lines explain what you understand by Community policing.
The body of the answer has to capture the following aspects:
- Community policing – is a philosophy that promotes organizational strategies that support the systematic use of partnerships and problem-solving techniques to proactively address the immediate conditions that give rise to public safety issues such as crime, social disorder, and fear of crime.
- What are the elements of community policing? – positive interaction, partnerships, and problem solving.
- What are the key features of community policing? – It is a partnership with the objective to determine community needs and policing priorities and to promote police accountability and effectiveness. It should include the participation of all stakeholders. It is effective at problem solving.
- Discuss the benefits and disadvantages associated with it with respect to the issues plaguing Indian police system (highlight issues and show how community policing can provide for good fix).
Conclude with significance of the role played by the system of such policing.